• To give a comprehension of typical, statistical problems in medicine and biomedical
• To give a comprehension of biostatistical methods in the design of experimental studies and
the analysis of biomedical data with a focus of non-parametric methods and to give them the
ability to apply these methods in typical problems.
• Design of experiments typical for Medicine and Biomedical Engineering (cross-over design,
cohort studies, case-control, matched pairs)
• Sampling and observational studies
• Summarising and presenting data
• Typical occurrences of the
distributions in medicine and biomedical engineering.
• Non-parametric methods for testing (Sign-test, Mann-Whitney-U, Wilcoxon, Kruskal
Wallis, and Pearson’s chi-squared)
• Non-parametric methods for correlation and regression (Pearson’s correlation coefficient,
• Brief introduction to longitudinal studies and repeated measurement
Engineering statistics, methods mainly based on underlying normal distributions (including,
e.g., regression, correlation, t-test, analysis of variance).
Project theme course (