• To give the student knowledge of concepts and theories concerning the
acoustical properties of buildings, building elements and materials.
• To give the student knowledge and ability required for performing
calculations, measurements, and for evaluating of acoustical properties of
rooms, building materials and installations in buildings.
• Basic definitions and measuring methods.
• Room impulse responses (incl. Binaural), echograms and energy decay curves.
Objective room acoustic parameters and their relation to the subjective listening
• Incidence of sound waves. Acoustical wall impedance, absorption and reflection of
materials. Concert hall acoustics. Acoustic room modelling. Numerical methods.
• Room acoustical wave theory. Room modes. Geometrical and statistical acoustics.
• Measuring, calculating and ranking speech intelligibility in rooms.
• Sound transmission through partitions. Coincidence. Measuring and rating sound
insulation in buildings and building elements. Flanking transmission. Sound
transmission through double walls. Insulation of facade elements. Impact sound
insulation. Noise from installations.
• Standards, laws and regulations.
Fundamentals of Acoustics, Acoustical Measurement Technique.
Study programme course (SE-course)